Monday, August 20, 2012

One Reason Why EVE is Broken - or Raise Your Hand if You Fly a Drake

 

I recently did something I swore I would never do. I trained to fly a Drake. I started this game flying Amarr ships. I naively thought I would fly ONLY Amarr ships. I rolled Amarr because I wanted to fly Amarr ships. Why? Because, unlike many of the spaceships in EVE, I thought a lot of the Amarr ships looked pretty cool. 

Well, I got over that some time ago and started training Minmatar ships. I love Minmatar ships. Even though most of them are ugly, they're bad ass, and I love the versatility many of them provide. At that point I figured I was pretty okay. I mean, I could fly two of the four races' ships, surely that would be enough?

I was wrong. Before my extended hiatus in EVE, Drakes were the FotM. It seems they still are to some degree. So I guess they're more the flavor of the year. Now in any game you're going to have your players who go for the most optimized style of play they can--whether it's their build in a game like RIFT, or the ship they fly in EVE. I get that. It's unavoidable. 



However, considering the sheer number of ships one can fly in EVE, the fact that so MANY people in the game fly ONE ship, whether for ratting, missions, complexes, or null-sec PvP fleets, to me says the game is broken. 

Can CCP not see this? Or do they just not give a shit? I find it hard to believe they don't give a shit, and I'll tell you why. CCP obviously takes a lot of pride in this game. Some people would say too much pride, and I wouldn't disagree with them. Surely they would like to see as many of the ships they spent time and money to design used as possible. Surely the creative parts of their souls shrivel just a little when they see all those Drakes out there.

I know, I know. CCP is "re-balancing" their ships. At the rate they're going, though, it could be 10 years before they're done, and that will be 8 years beyond the point where they needed to be re-balanced again. 


Also, I question some of their choices of what to re-balance first. I get starting with the frigates. Start small, just to make sure you know what the fuck you're doing. But MINING ships? Really? Out of all the ships in the game, you decide MINING ships should be re-balanced first? Maybe they were just the EASIEST to re-balance after frigates. I would think battleships and battlecruisers would be a little higher on CCP's priority list. 

So, yeah, I whored myself out to the damned Caldari Navy (or whatever the fuck they're called) just so I could participate in more aspects of the game. Plus, every time I ask for a fit, I get five people giving me Drake fits. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. When in Rome and all that. 

I just really think this is broken, and I find it discouraging that I've been away from the game for almost a year, and the same annoying shit is going on. There are still shield-tanked Drakes everywhere. I suppose there is a silver lining to this dark cloud of sameness--if you ever wonder what New Eden would look like without capsuleers, all you have to do is remove Drakes from your overview....

Fly smart.

(Note: Segments of this post have been exagerrated for emphasis.)

5 comments:

  1. Take a peek into the Features and Ideas forum; read the stickied threads tagged [winter]. All the frigates and the destroyers are being discussed at time of writing.

    At this rate; Battlecruisers should be up for next summer's expansion (along with the whole racial battlecruiser skill change thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of this and mentioned it in the post. However, I don't share your optimism as to the time schedule. As I mentioned in the post, they have started with the easiest ships to balance. As you move up the hierarchy, the ships will become more difficult to balance, not only with other ships of that class, but all the ships in the game. I don't believe CCP will be putting out battlecruisers, for instance, in the same amount of time as they did frigates.

      Delete
  2. There will always be a first choice in popular area's of the game, I love the drake for its versatility.
    But "if" or "once" it does get whacked with the nerf bat and another ship takes its place will you or others be writing about that ... or the next ship ... or the ship after that ... of course you will. By that time it'll be a ship you like and you'll be writing to save it from being nerfed.
    Eve isn't broken by the Drake. Yes I am "pro" Drake; But really what next, Cane broke pvp, rifter proliferation with can flippers.
    I think its more to do with skill choices and a Drake for most being a proper tool for most jobs.
    Viva la Drake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your missing the point. The point here is balance. If there is one ship that is the go-to ship across multiple roles, then there isn't balance. This is not to say that every ship be equal in every role. Rather that each ship have a niche (at least) that it excels in. I'm not calling for a nerf of the Drake(not once did a mention a nerf). Yes, if the Drake is merely replaced by another ship that everyone flies, I will be saying foul. But that's not really fixing the problem is it?

      The hurricane and rifter your mention are poor examples. Both of those ships are used for particular roles and excel in those roles, which is fine. The rift is a great cheap tackle ship, but rifters aren't the only ships you see being used for tackle in the game.

      I suspect that some people, at least, that are "pro Drake" are happy with things the way they are because they can skill into one ship and do well in multiple areas of the game. This is against the very spirit of EVE. Players should have to bring different ships to different jobs to be competitive, and be skilled at flying all those ships.

      Delete
  3. In CCP's defence, I think the mining ships were the natural progression to rebalance as the frigate revamp removed the existing mining frigates. This led to the need to create a mining frigate to provide rookie miners with something to fly and then by association the other mining ships. Granted, this defence falls down when you consider that they have yet to release the mining frigate, but it's the best train of thought I can come up with.

    Battlecruisers will get the Eye of Sauron treatment eventually. I hope.

    ReplyDelete