Thursday, August 9, 2012

I Have Returned


Greetings New Eden. 

After a bit of a hiatus, I have returned to EVE. Like many do in this game, I got burned out. I'm sure it was at least partly due to the marathon sessions I'd been putting into the game for over a year. I'm someone who tends to fixate on something when I enjoy it, but I'm also someone who gets sick of anything he does too much. So I took a break. Turns out it was a good move. 

To be honest, when I first left the game, I didn't think I'd ever be coming back. I was burned out, and there had been some things happening with CCP and the community that soured the taste of EVE for me. Time passed, and I played a lot of RIFT.

Gradually, though, I found EVE creeping into my thoughts. Time away from the game gave me the distance I needed from it to gain a new perspective. I came to realize that I'd liked the IDEA of EVE, it's potential, much more than I'd liked the actual game play. But still, that idea had a hold of me, and I began wondering what changes had been made, and whether they would be enough to make the game fun.

I knew I had more than enough ISK to buy a PLEX, so I decided, what the hell? I'd give it a shot. 

Of course, the immediate question was one we all must answer: What to do?

When I'd left EVE I'd been a member of Lonestar Exploration, a wormhole corporation. I felt I'd had enough experience with wormholes for now. I wanted to try something different, experience a new side of EVE I hadn't experienced before. Two things immediately came to mind.

PvP

I've had some experience with PvP, but not nearly as much as I'd like. The best moments I've had in EVE have almost all been PvP moments.

NullSec

I'd had zero experience in nullsec. To be honest, I'd never had any interest in it. My first corp in the game was AIEU (I'd been a member of their guild in WoW). When they decided to move to nullsec, I left the corp to explore wormholes. 

I don't think anyone would argue that nullsec is a HUGE part of EVE. Here was a major facet of the game I'd never even seen before.

Then I read about some of Jade's experiences (the host of the Lost in EVE podcast). It sounded like he was having a lot of fun. That sold me.

So yes, I'm back in EVE. I've rejoined my old friends in AIEU, and I am now part of the TEST alliance. I just moved out to Fountain a couple days ago. I've had some eye-opening experiences, but I'll save those for another post.

I want to thank all my readers. I know I've been sporadic in my posts lately, and none of them have been about EVE. I appreciate those of you who are still reading the blog. I checked the stats, expecting to see that the blog had fallen into obscurity, but I am still getting a lot of readers. Most of them seem to be coming to view the various guides. I'm glad to see that, glad to see the guides are informing people. I just hope they're not too terribly out of date.

Thanks again readers! And keep reading! 

Fly smart.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Fergus! Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, TEST is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have to agree Michael. TEST IS awesome! I'm having more fun than I've ever had in the game. There are a lot of funny and helpful people in TEST. I've seen great generosity from many players, and there's a team atmosphere.

    I'm such a noob to null-sec, I went on a PoS-bashing fleet the other night and had a blast, even though no one showed to defend it. I'm sure the newness will wear off, but for now I'm enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete