Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Try Ember Isle for FREE and Other Gaming Stuff


Trion is doing it again!  You can buy RIFT for $0 all weekend, starting today. If you're already playing, look forward to a 30% bonus to xp, dungeon plaques, favor, prestige, and all that good stuff all weekend. I can't count how many times in the eight or so months of the game Trion has offered it for free or something ridiculous like $5. There have also been many times they've given xp bonuses and such just to say "thank you" to their subscribers.


Ember Isle is AMAZING. I've seen expansions for other games that you have to pay over $50 for that aren't this good. The new zone is beautiful, and huge. The quests are fun, and they're a challenge even for someone with tier 1 and tier 2 dungeon gear.





Trion has really raised the bar for subscription MMO's. I honestly can't believe people still play WoW. Hopefully the days of paying exorbitant amounts for expansions on top of your monthly subscription are over. I never bought Cataclysm because I was sick of Blizzard's money-grubbing, and I haven't regretted that decision once, especially considering that RIFT is hand-over-fist better in every conceivable way.


I've been hearing and seeing great things about Skyrim. The game looks completely amazing. The art is gorgeous. Everyone is raving about the freedom you have in the game. I can't wait to try it. I'm going to have to break down and get it soon. Maybe when I'm off between quarters.


I also got into beta testing for Star Wars the Old Republic. Took quite a while to get the 20+ gig beast downloaded, but I'm looking forward to checking it out. To be honest, my enthusiasm for the game has waned simply because I'm enjoying RIFT so much, and I'm really looking forward to playing Skyrim. Well, SWTOR isn't going anywhere, so I don't really care if I don't play it right off the bat.


I've received some comments about not talking about EVE much lately. I assure you, I will post something about EVE as soon as something in that game motivates me to do so. I've only logged in a few times in the past few months, just every now and then to re-up my skill queue.


Yes, the upcoming winter expansion SOUNDS nice, but after over a year with EVE, I'll believe it when I see it. I can't find too much enthusiasm for one new ship for each race, the only new ships to be added to EVE in my time playing other than the Noctis. I also can't generate any enthusiasm or desire to play a game that, frankly, is boring as hell. My time is too precious. I don't have a lot of time for gaming, and the time I do  have I want to spend, you know, having fun. Not sitting around waiting for that 2 minutes of fun every couple hours.


The winter expansion sounds nice, yes, but let's face it: it's a list of fixes that should've been fixed a long time ago. Still not much PVE content to speak of.  Still not much "action" for someone who wants to log in for 30 minutes or an hour and have some fun. EVE is the only game I've ever played where so many players spend much of their time "in game" tabbed out doing something else while they're "playing" (i.e. afk mining, afk missioning, hell for all I know, people do afk pvp). I also can't help wondering if CCP will bother fixing any of the numerous bugs that have existed in the game since I've been playing it. I've never played a game that annoys me so much with constant bugs that never get fixed.


All that said, it still strikes me how beautiful a game EVE is. I still use my EVE screenshots as my screensaver.  My sci-fi heart leaps at the ideas of what the game COULD be. I sincerely hope that one day the game lives up to its potential and becomes more fun to play. If or when it does, I'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment