Friday, April 29, 2011

The Beauty of EVE



Welcome to the twenty-sixth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

This month's topic was proposed by @KatiaSae of the much praised "To Boldly Go" blog. Katia asks: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As an astrophotographer, I've found it in the stars and planets of New Eden. Where have you found it? Perhaps you've found beauty in the ships we fly? Maybe it's the sight of profits being added to your bottom line? Or maybe it's the pilot portraits you see in the comm channels? Where ever you've found it, write about it and post an image." Don't be afraid go beyond the simple visual aspects of EVE as well. Is the EVE Community in itself a thing of beauty? What makes EVE the game, the world, the Community, so appealing to you?


This topic is a great follow-up to my last post, and since I just recently built a new computer with an amazing graphics card, I've come to re-appreciate the beauty in EVE in the past couple months. 



For the first 6 or so months I played EVE I had a pretty crappy graphics card. The nebulas were sad, planets were merely single-colored spheres, and many of the stations and stargates simply wouldn't load. For some reason, my graphics card refused to render certain station and stargate models, and I never saw them until I powered on the new computer. I'll detail a few of the features that I especially appreciate. I've tried to put some decent screenshots in this post. Showing is better than telling, especially in this instance.




The first thing I noticed when I played EVE with the new graphics card was the difference in my ships. I fly mostly Amarr ships. I picked Amarr because I liked the look of their ships the best, and almost all my favorite ships in the game are Amarr. But I appreciated them for their organic curves and high symmetry. 




The next thing I noticed were the gleaming metal plates on the Amarr ships. They remind me of chrome, only they're more of a bronze color. I'd seen these plates before, but they'd been dull. Now they are so polished, sometimes I can see reflections of surrounding planets, stars, nebulas, etc. in the armor plates of my ships. 


The planets are much more impressive as well. EVE has some truly beautiful planets. Many of my favorite planets have been oceanic or lava, but I have seen some beautiful examples of the other planet types as well.


Hell, I've even seen some beautiful asteroids. I haven't done a lot of mining, so I don't have many asteroid screenshots, but I saw this one the other night and thought it was kind of cool.


I wasn't originally very excited about the new character creator. I didn't see how my character looked as being especially (or at all) relevant to playing the game. I was more dreading the hour or so it would take me to remake my character than I was looking forward to the new features.


However, I have to say that I've been very pleasantly surprised by my reactions since the character creator has come out. The moment I realized I was really digging it was when I was checking out the official forums (which I almost never go to), and I noticed that the CCP personnel have new avatars. It's really cool to be able to see what they've created.


It's also interesting to see what the players have created. One thing that has surprised me is how many guys don't seem to be able to create an attractive female avatar. Slapping on breasts set to the maximum size and spread just doesn't seem to work.


I don't think I can really say that I find much of beauty in EVE beyond the graphical elements, but I'm very happy with those. I especially enjoy living in wormhole space. The various nebulas, wormholes, etc. that you see out there are really cool and beat anything I've seen in empire space. I think my single favorite site in the wormholes is a pulsar system. I don't have a good screenshot of one, unfortunately, but screenshots don't do them justice anyway. You have to see them yourself in real time to really appreciate them.


I'm really looking forward to Incarna, which will add new graphical elements to the game. I've thought about doing a trip through New Eden to see the sites. When I do, I'll be using EVE Travel to set my itinerary. For now, though, I'm content exploring wormhole space. I'm looking forward to reading other blog posts in this blog banter.

Fly smart.

5 comments:

  1. I find it ironic that the race that boasts some of the most beautiful ships in New Eden, are capable of perpetrating the most cruel and heinous acts against another race of human beings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you referring to slavery or the fact that they force a backwards religion on their citizens? I suppose CCP is saying that even in thousands of years, there will still be humans who are cruel and ignorant.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual. You get some of the best screenshots from Eve. I knew when I saw this blog banter that I had to swing by your blog and see what you ended up posting :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks mate! I really appreciate that. I love taking screenshots. I tend to get so wrapped up in the game I forget to get out the camera, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great screenshots! It is amazing the amount of difference a graphics card can make. I recently upgraded mine as well and have been able to get more out than I used to. I'll certainly have to check out WH space some time in my travels. Thanks for participating in this last month's banter.

    ReplyDelete