Before you move into a wormhole, you want to make sure you have the skills that you'll need. Once you're in wormhole space, you're on your own, with only your own resources and that of your corp to help you out. It can be a very lonely and boring place if you don't have the necessary skills trained up. Some of the necessary skills will depend on what you want to do in the wormhole. Other skills are needed by everyone.
The most important skills you should have no matter what you plan to do in the hole are the scanning skills. You should have:
- Astrometrics (at least 4)
- Astrometric Rangefinding
- Astrometric Pinpointing
- Astrometric Acquisition
- Covert Ops
Everyone in a wormhole should be able to scan and be good at it. Use the time you spend in empire to practice your scanning. It will give you something to do while you wait for those skills to train. Practice scanning down cosmic signatures. Once you can fit a cloak, fly into a low sec system and practice scanning there. The signatures are a little more difficult to find than in high sec.
I recommend training all of the scanning skills (including covert ops) to at least 4. You will spend a LOT of time scanning in the wormhole, it's best to be as efficient as possible.
Here are some other skills you'll want:
- Salvaging (at least 3) - Salvaging is something even a relatively new character can do in the hole. I highly recommend fitting salvaging rigs on your ship if you don't have salvaging 5.
- Gas Cloud Harvesting - You can make a TON of ISK gas harvesting in the wormholes. This is also something a relatively new character can do. The ladar sites are also among the easiest to clear (kill the sleepers).
- Cloaking 4 - to use covert ops cloak & warp cloaked. This is a must-have for scanning, scouting, and general survival. Stealth and reconnaissance are everything in the wormhole.
If you're interested in doing PI, then you'll want the following skills. If you're used to doing PI in empire, you'll shit a brick when you see the planets in wormhole space.
- Command Center Upgrades - for a better PI command center
- Interplanetary Consolidation - to be able to do PI on more planets
- Planetology - to improve PI scanning resolution
Those skills will get you started. You'll be able to scan and make some money from mining and gas harvesting.
In addition, you'll want to work up your combat skills. To what degree will depend on what you want to do. You can clear the easier ladar and gravimetric sites solo in a decently tanked battlecruiser. If you want to do the more difficult sites or the combat sites, you'll need even better combat skills. The ships you'll be looking at for the magnetometric, radar, and combat sites will be strategic cruisers (T3), battlecruisers, battleships, and logistics cruisers. Check with your corp before you move into the hole to see what kind of ships they use for these sites. Once you know what ship(s) you want to fly, create a skill training plan using EveMon. If you don't know how to do that, this guide will help you.
A couple other skills you will find useful are:
- Anchoring - this will allow you to help your corp put up and take down PoS's. Also allows you to anchor GSC's to keep your stuff in.
- Starbase Defense Management - this will allow you to man the PoS guns.
This is by no means an exhaustive guide, but it will give you a good start. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.