I really enjoy exploration in EVE, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I hear a lot of people say they want to try it, but some of them don't because it looks too complicated. Here is some of the basic information along with some links to some great resources for you.
Here are the different skills you will need to do the various activities that are part of exploration in EVE.
I - Use of Core Scanner Probe
II - Ability to launch 4 probes (recommended)
V - Use of Deep Space Probes
Jury Rigging I - Ability to fit Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I
Electronic Upgrades V
Spaceship Command III
All that's required to be able to scan is Science III and Astrometrics I. Higher levels of Astrometrics allow you to launch more probes and use Combat Probes and Deep Space Probes. Astrometric Pinpointing and Rangefinding increase the range and accuracy of your probes. Jury Rigging allows you to use a scan-enhancing rig. The rest of the skills are prerequisites for Covert Ops which allow you to learn the Covert Ops skill. To actually fly the Covert Ops frigates you need Frigates 5.
Each race has a scanning frigate, which gives a bonus to scanning. These frigates are the Heron, Imicus, Magnate and Probe. The Covert Ops frigates are the Anathema, Buzzard, Cheetah and Helios.
You will find a variety of exploration sites. These include:
- Combat sites. These will contain various NPC's that you can defeat for loot and salvage.
- Gravimetric sites. These contain asteroid belts. These belts are nice because you have to scan them down to find them, so they're usually not as crowded as a system's main belts. They also will have higher quality asteroids.
- Magnetometric sites. These sites will have containers you can use an Analyzer to open (via Archaeology) and/or wrecks you can salvage.
- Radar sites. These sites will have containers you can use a Codebreaker on (via Hacking).
- Ladar sites. These sites will have gas clouds for gas mining.
- Worm Holes. These will either lead to another system in realspace or a system in wormhole space. Wormhole systems have their own anomalies and signatures to scan down. They can be very dangerous, but they pay out can be a lot better too.
Electronics Upgrades III
I to use Codebreaker I
V to use Codebreaker II
I to use Analyzer I
V to use Analyzer II
I to use Salvager I
V to use Salvager II